Let's answer some questions

Have questions about IWT? We're here to help.

How do I find a job in the U.S.?

You will be accepted to the IWT program, then you will choose a summer job from a list of available positions. Your local IWT partner office will provide you with these options. If you choose to find your own job or have a prearranged job, your local IWT partner office can also confirm it for you and sponsor your J-1 Work Travel Visa.

What types of jobs can I get?

The Work Travel Program offers entry-level jobs such as cashiers, housekeeping staff, kitchen help, resort workers, food and beverage attendants, ski lift operators, lifeguards, sales help, and more. Our host companies include hotels & resorts, ski resorts, national parks, amusement parks, retail stores, fast food restaurants, and more.

How old do I need to be?

Work Travel participants must be between the ages of 18 and 28 years old.

How good does my English have to be?

If you want to participate in the Work Travel program, you must speak at least an intermediate English level. You should be able to communicate on your own. Your English level will help determine for which job positions you can apply.

How much do I need to pay?

The cost of your specific program is determined by your local IWT partner office representative if you are working with a partner office. Please apply and we will connect you with your local IWT partner office. In addition to the program fee, the embassy will charge you for your visa application; you will need to pay for a round trip flight to the U.S. and you will be responsible for the costs of your housing and meals.  Eligibility & Pricing page.

How do I find housing?

You will be given at least one housing option in addition to your job placement; however, you are ultimately responsible for confirming your accommodations while in the U.S. You must arrange at least temporary housing before you leave home so that you may complete your immigration documents accurately with an accommodation address in the United States. Many employers provide housing or assistance with housing as a part of your job. Please refer to your placement documents for more information.

What type of visa do I need in order to work in the U.S.?

In order to participate in the Work Travel Program you will need to have the appropriate J-1 Visitor Exchange Program Visa. The purpose of the Visitor Exchange Program is to provide foreign nationals with the opportunity to participate in educational and cultural programs in the U.S. The Exchange Visitor Program includes 13 different exchange program categories, of which the Work Travel Program is a part.

What is a J-1 Work Travel visa?

A J-1 Work Travel visa allows you to visit the U.S. and work for up to 4 months during your university summer vacation. After your 4 months, you will have 30 days to travel in the United States. This 30-day period is called a "Grace Period" in your visa documents.

How long after the expiration of my visa must I leave the U.S.?

The expiration date for the visa should not be confused with the authorized length of your stay in the U.S., given to you by the U.S. immigration inspector at port-of-entry, on the Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94. The U.S. Department of State notation, shown on your Arrival-Departure Record, I-94 is the official record of your authorized length of stay in the U.S.  Also, you are allowed to stay additional 30-day following the successful completion of the program from the end date stated on your Form DS-2019.

For more information about visas to enter the U.S. please visit this site: http://travel.state.gov/

What is the difference if I only want to use your independent J-1 visa sponsorship service?

The Independent service is for students who want to find a seasonal job for themselves. You must find a seasonal job that fits all the J-1 visa requirements and work with the Host Company directly. IWT will still help you with visa sponsorship paperwork, advice, and support.

How long does the entire process take?

Once you have contacted an agent in your home country and applied for the program it usually takes between 3-6 weeks for completion of all of the necessary paperwork.

Do I have to stay at one job?

By signing an IWT Job Offer, you are agreeing to work or train for a particular employer. IWT requires that you honor this commitment. However, if you are experiencing problems, we are here to assist you. You should always feel free to contact us at any time if you are experiencing difficulties.

Can I get a second job?

If you are a Work Travel participant you can have two or more jobs. However, you must make sure that your second job does not conflict with the hours and responsibilities of the original job.

Can I come before my job starts?

You may arrive up to 2 weeks before your program begins. This time gives you the opportunity to get settled in your housing, apply for your Social Security card, and learn your way around before starting your program. If you choose to arrive early and stay in the housing provided with the position, please contact IWT in advance to confirm your housing will be available.

How much money should I bring?

You should bring enough money to pay for food and housing for your first month in the U.S. This is important, because you may not receive your first paycheck until after you've been working for two weeks. As a general rule, you should have enough money for one month's rent, and an additional $1,000 when you arrive.

What about medical insurance?

All participants are required to have medical insurance. Most participants opt for insurance arranged by IWT, which includes basic travel insurance but does not cover pre-existing medical conditions. If you stay for the 30-day grace period it is your responsibility to maintain your medical insurance coverage by contacting us and purchasing an additional 30 days of insurance.

Who can I contact in case of an emergency?

IWT offers a toll-free 24-hour emergency help line during your stay in the U.S.: 1-888-224-0450.

However, should you have life threatening emergency you should call the appropriate authorities (police, fire department and ambulance) by dialing 911 from any telephone.

Can I extend my stay in the U.S.?

There are no extensions for J-1 Work Travel programs past the maximum duration of the program. The program allows you 4 months to work at a seasonal position and then a 30-day "grace period" to travel around the United States.

We cannot change your program dates once you arrive in the United States.

Can I come back again?

If you still meet the requirements for eligibility for the Work and Travel program you may return during your following summer vacation.

Find what you're looking for?

If you do not find the information you are looking for, please email us at iwtsupport@intraxinc.com or call us at 1-888-224-0450.

Connecting people and cultures through work and travel