Let's answer some questions

Have questions about IWT? We're here to help.

Where do the international students come from?

Our participants come from over 35 countries. Generally, summer participants come from countries in the Northern Hemisphere and winter participants come from countries in the Southern Hemisphere.

When are the international students available?

Summer participants typically arrive between May and July and can work until October 1. Winter participants typically arrive between November and December and can work until March or April. Spring participants typically arrive in March and can work until June or July. Participants are legally allowed to work a maximum of four months.

How well can they speak English?

Participants must speak at least an intermediate English level. They should be able to communicate on their own. Their English level will also help determine for which job positions they are well suited.

What types of job positions can they fill?

The Summer Work Travel Program offers entry-level jobs such as cashiers, housekeeping staff, kitchen help, resort workers, food and beverage attendants, ski lift operators, lifeguards, sales help, and more.

What is the job commitment? Can they quit? Can they have more than one job?

All participants are at-will employees and can leave their employment at any time.

Participants are allowed to have more than one job. However, during the on-boarding process, we explain to participants that their primary commitment is to their initial, approved employer and that they should maintain an open dialogue if they are interested in working another job.

Do I have to provide housing or travel?

Many employers provide housing or assistance with housing. While providing housing for students is not mandatory, we ask that you provide or arrange affordable housing for staff in close proximity to the workplace.

How much does the program cost?

There are no program fees to host employers. Participants pay program and insurance fees, flights, interview fees, etc.

What wages should I pay?

Participants must be paid the same as an American employee doing the same job, while adhering to state minimum wage laws.

Will participants need to pay taxes?

Participants are required to pay federal, state and local taxes. While participants are all students in their home countries, the IRS does not consider them students while they are in the U.S. For tax purposes, students are considered non-resident aliens, must file a tax return, and may be eligible for a refund.

Will participants have social security cards?

Participants must apply for social security cards when they arrive in the U.S. We assist them with this process as part of their on-boarding.

What is the J-1 Visa? DS-2019 form?

The J-1 Visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to live and work in the U.S. as part of cultural exchange programs.

The DS-2019 form is proof of sponsorship for a J-1 Visa, and identifies the program sponsor, describes the purpose of the program, and states the time period that the student is allowed to work. Work is allowed only with a valid DS-2019 form and only within the dates listed.

Do participants have health insurance?

We enroll participants with health insurance during their entire program. Participants are provided with insurance details and information about doctor visits, emergencies, and how to file a claim. Additional health insurance is also available to participants interested in traveling after they finish their job.

What happens if a participant becomes injured?

Participants are protected by the same labor laws as U.S. citizens, and all job-related injuries are covered by Workers’ Compensation. Employers should refer to their Workers’ Compensation insurance policy or broker. We ask that you find an alternative position for that participant, or if that is not possible, please contact us so that we can assist with an alternative placement.

What happens if I would like to change a participant?

If a participant is not meeting your expectations, let us know and we will gladly assist.

We've found that it helps for employers to first talk to the participant about their work performance and let them know what your expectations are and how they can improve. Showing them how to improve and having your expectations clearly explained will likely improve performance.

If the participant has not shown improvement in performance, we can assist in finding a replacement.

Can I extend my participant's job?

There are no extensions for J-1 Work Travel programs past the "maximum duration of the program". The program allows you 4 months to work at a seasonal position and then a 30-day "grace period" to travel around the United States.

We cannot change program dates once participants arrive in the United States.

Who do I contact if I need help during the season?

You may contact your IWT representative. IWT also offers a toll-free 24-hour support: 1-888-224-0450.

Find what you're looking for?

If you do not find the information you are looking for, please email us at iwtsupport@intraxinc.com or call us at 1-888-224-0450.

Connecting people and cultures through work and travel